Introduction to PowerPivot: PowerPivot is a Self-Service BI Tool from Microsoft. It is basically a data mashup and data exploration tool allowing us to analyze millions of records from variety of different sources in a matter of few minutes or even seconds. It is based on a in-memory technology known as “xVelocity”, which operates in memory and does all the necessary calculations within memory thereby offering a very high-speed data analysis/exploration. It comes in two flavors:
- PowerPivot Add-In for Excel (Excel 2010 and above)
- PowerPivot for SharePoint
- Similar to Excel, making it easier for business users, data analysts, and excel users etc.
- Is available freely as an add-in for Excel.
- Can be installed in just few minutes and you can get started with analysis.
- Supports a wide variety of data sources.
- PowerPivot formulas/expressions (DAX) are very similar to Excel formulas/expressions.
- Due to it’s similarity to Excel, it’s very easy to adopt, and can be quickly adopted.